Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Hawaiian Tropics Silk Hydration sunscreen Review + what's Oxybenzone?

Hello Fabulous readers!

Many people are starting to buy sunscreens this month, and they are practically everywhere; at supermarkets and even tourist shops everywhere you go! Well, that's probably a good thing, as so to remind everyone to protect themselves from the harmful UVA and UVB rays.

So, since probably many of you are still deciding which sunscreen to purchase, I decided to review mine :)

There are loads and loads of brands out there. This year, I decided to buy one by Hawaiian Tropic. Mine is the Silk Hydration sun lotion with Hydrating Ribbons SPF 50. They also have the SPF 30 and tanning oils, which I don't recommend you buying!


So, It has 180 ml of product and it's made in the U.S.A. As you can see from the picture, the product can be seen through the bottle; i.e white and brown (the brown part, I take are the 'hydrating ribbons')

On the product, it says that this sunscreen is recommended by the skin cancer foundation as an effective UV sunscreen.It also has 4 stars.

What is says on the product:

Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration sun lotion pampers your skin like no ordinary sunscreen. The unique dual ribbon formula combines strong protection with luxurious, hydrating silk protein to wrap your skin in continuous moisture to help maintain luminous & protected skin in the sun.

Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB, water resistant, Light tropical fragrance.

It also says that it contains Oxybenzone. I'm a curious gal, so when I looked up this particular ingredient,  I found out that apparently it's an organic compound used in sunscreens and other cosmetics because it absorbs UVB and short wave UVA rays. I also found out that apparently, in the EU, products intended for skin protection with 0.5% or more oxybenzone must be labeled "contains oxybenzone" This organic compound has been shown to penetrate into the skin where it acts as a photosensitizer. This results in an increased production of free radicals under illumination. . . 

What I think of this product:

I was not at all disappointed with this sunscreen. It gets absorbed really easily, unlike other sunscreens, where you have to rub it on your skin for ages and you still end up looking white!

Although I like the smell of sunscreens (because it reminds me of summer..),  this one doesn't smell like your usual sunscreen. It has a light tropical smell (sort of like Pina Colada) just as it says on the product.

It really does leave your skin moisturized (in fact it even feels like you are applying a moisturizer)and leaves a natural dewy finish on the skin.

I don't think I will re-purchase this one though, because now that I know about Oxybenzone, I'm not comfortable in using any products containing the ingredient. Next time, I will buy a more natural one ( that doesn't produce free radicals in my skin) from a health shop  :)

I hope that this was useful to you guys. Please let me know which sunscreen you are currently using and what you think about oxybenzone!

Denise o.b.o The Fabulous Team XOX


No comments:

Post a Comment